Vladimir The Impaler
vlad is the hostname for Vladimir The Impaler, an extreme computing rig designed by Mark Furneaux, and owned by Russell Phillips.
- 1x 64-bit Hex-core Intel Core i7 3960x @ 3.30GHz (12 threads total)
- Total CPU Power: 170 GFLOPS
- 32GB G.SKILL Ares and RipjawsX non-ECC DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz (8x4GB)
- ASUS Sabertooth X79 Motherboard
- 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
- 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
- 1x OCZ 120GB SATA3 SSD
- 1x Seagate 1TB SATA3 HDD
- 1x Intel Gigabit Ethernet controller
- Idle power draw: 230W
- Age: 7 years
- Windows 8
The i7 3960x is stock clocked at 3.3GHz. In order to achieve 4.8GHz clock speed, the CPU was liquid cooled with a 360mm radiator using a push-pull fan configuration. The MOSFETs that make up the VRMs are also cooled in series with the CPU. The main limitation on the clock speed is the VRM cooling.
To combat the VRM cooling issue, it is planned to add a second VRM waterblock on the reverse of the board, thus sandwiching it together between 2 waterblocks. The pump will also be upgraded to a Gorman Rupp Industries INTG2 running on 12V. The radiator will be replaced with 2 high density copper radiators, both in a push-pull configuration.