Clementine is a cross-platform music player and library manager for Linux, Windows, and OS X that was inspired by Amarok 1.4.
Clementine was developed following the move from Amarok 1.4 to Amarok 2.0. This drastic change upset many users and inspired the birth of the Clementine project. Clementine was written in C++ and Qt, making it cross platform, whereas Amarok was generally not. Many plugins for Amarok such as projectM and moodbar were directly incorporated into Clementine.
Clementine is available for download from their website and many official Linux repositories. It may be beneficial to install the development builds for your platform from builds.clementine.org.
This is how I like my Clementine...
- Shrink sidebar: Right click sidebar and select 'Small sidebar'
- Large cover art: Right click cover art while playing and select 'Large album cover (details below)'
- Expand cover art: Right click cover art while playing and select 'Fit cover to width'
- Extend play scrubber: Right click cover art while playing and select 'Show above status bar'
- Increase analyser framerate: Right click analyser and select 'Framerate->Super High'
- Enable Psychedelic Colours: Right click analyser and select 'Use Psychedelic Colours'
- Show time remaining in track: While playing, click total time on right of play scrubber
- Show library by album: Click wrench icon to right of search bar and select 'Group by->Advanced Grouping' with level 1 being 'Album' and level 2 being 'Album Artist'
- Change columns in playlist view: Right click header and deselect 'File name' and 'Source', and select 'Bit Rate', 'Score', 'Play count', and 'Mood'
- Change startup behaviour: Navigate to 'Tools->Preferences->Behaviour' and change 'When Clementine starts' to 'Always show the main window'
- Invalidate missing songs in library: Navigate to 'Tools->Preferences->Behaviour' and select 'Grey out non existing songs in my playlists'
- Change autoplay behaviour: Navigate to 'Tools->Preferences->Behaviour' and change 'Using the menu to add a song will...' to 'Never start playing' and change 'Double clicking a song will...' to 'Never start playing'
- Set background image: Navigate to 'Tools->Preferences->Appearance' and change 'Background image' to 'Album cover' and set the 'Blur amount' to 0% and the 'Opacity' to 10%
- Enable last.fm scrobbling: Navigate to 'Tools->Preferences->Last.fm' and login and uncheck 'Show the love button'
- Disable Internet search: Navigate to 'Tools->Preferences->Search' and deselect all sources except 'Library' and 'Last.fm'
- Increase visualization quality: Right click analyser and select 'Visualizations'. Right click visualization and select 'Quality->Super high' and 'Framerate->Super high'
I have worked on the following patches, bugfixes, and features:
- 4305 - Fix OSD after stop after track event - Fixed bugs 2471 and 3572
- 4308 - Fix playback bleeding into next track after auto stop
- 4313 - Fix analyzer framerate on mouseover of play scrubber - Fixed bugs 2504 and 4291
- 4321 - Fix inconsistent buffer sizes sent to analyzer - Fixed bugs 3939 and 3675
- 4327 - Fix oversized album cover art - Fixed bugs 1260, 1570 and 2642
- 4343 - Fix block analyzer framerate
- 4347 - Add new now playing widget mode - Addressed 853
- 4350 - Add ability to fit now playing cover to width - Addressed 853
- 4353 - Fix dbz possibility with small buffers at end of track
- 4359 - Increase update rate of track slider - Addressed 3142
- 4364 - Add icons to extras: hypnotoad, kittens, enterprise - Fixed bug 1601
- 4367 - Add new analyzer "Rainbow Dash" - Addressed 2685
- 4372 - Fix random artifacting on nyanalyzer on startup
- 4376 - Fix dbz possibility in moodbar
- 4382 - Add persistent disk cache for library pixmaps - Addressed 4379
- 4383 - Fix memory leak in pixmap disk cache
- 4559 - Fix missing buffers sent to analyzer - Fixed regression of 3939
- 4666 - Fix moodbars not generating correctly - Fixed bug 4635
- 4668 - Fix socket leak in moodbarpipeline - Fixed bug 4663
- 4669 - Don't load the moodbar if the song was stopped
- 4679 - Do not remove currently playing track when repopulating a dynamic playlist
- 4861 - Fix Last.fm scrobbling after seek - Fixed bug 4836
- 4862 - I can be in an about box?
- 4863 - Scroll to last played track when switching playlists
- 4864 - Scale cover art to the current monitor, not the entire virtual screen
- 4867 - Fix playlist not deselecting playing track when stopping
- 4887 - Fix context menu for the NowPlayingWidget in Windows
- 4905 - Add track intro mode - Addressed 459
- 4913 - Bound the Block Analyzer's column count
- 4924 - Update Boom and Turbine analyzers
- 4929 - Add "Psychedelic Colour" mode to all analyzers
- 4935 - Add mono output support in the engine
- 4939 - Fix Pretty OSD positioning on Windows - Fixed bugs 1218, 2941, 3233 and 3562
- 4940 - Fix mono playback on certain configurations
- 4945 - Add sample rate selection
- 4948 - Sonogram should stop scrolling when paused - Fixed bug 755
- 4974 - Bask in his glory on multiple monitors
- 5124 - Respawn mainwindow on correct monitor
- 5125 - Set next track as current when removing tracks - Fixed bug 5031
- 5171 - Fix incorrect highlight colour in playlist when the window is inactive
- 5381 - Fix caps on audio pipeline - Fixed bug 1747
- 5397 - Fix pipeline with direct output to ALSA
- 5471 - Fix caching of missing album covers
- 5496 - Save playlist with default extension on dialogs which do not enforce extensions
- 5688 - Fix psychedelic mode on analysers
- 6043 - Add Play Next Option to Queue
- 6103 - Fix track change hang
My personal development repository can be found on github.
I have rendered a visual history of Clementine's development from December 2009 to April 2015 using Gource, which is available on YouTube.